Monday, September 13, 2010

Welcome to Katherine Pena's You Are What You Eat

My name is Katherine Pena, I am 17-years-old. I go to F.H. LaGuardia Community College and this is my blog. This blog is for my research paper class that covers The Ethics of Food.  

My eating habits are not necessarily healthy but they are not deadly either. I typically eat the food that my mother cooks, which is usually traditional Dominican food; like, chicken and rice. When she does not cook, I eat fast food. I would make my own food but turns out that if my mother did not cook, there are no ingredients at home; therefore, my options are to starve or to buy food ready to eat. But when I do cook, I make simple things for breakfast like omelets, pancakes, mashed potatoes, etc.

My family and I have a couple of different places we do groceries at. Key Food, the first choice, is where we buy the food/ingredients we absolutely need. Milk, cereal, juice, fruits, meats, and bread are on that list. It used to be very disappointed looking, but after the remodeling was done, the place looks expensive even though it really is not. The other option is Costco. My family and I go to Costco when we really need to go grocery shopping. Costco is a huge store that sells just about everything from food to electronics, to cosmetics, to things for the home. Also, Costco is very affordable and reliable. We buy things that are necessary and not so necessary like chips, cookies, breakfast bars, etc.

My favorite types of food would have to be my mother's cooking, I do not know what I would be without her variety. I love lasagna and the traditional white rice with chicken breast with a green salad on the side. Honestly, if I really tried and thought about where my food comes from, for example chicken, I could turn vegetarian. The reason I say this is because I have thought about it for a minute and just the thought disturbed me a little bit. But being vegetarian in my culture is practically insane. Maybe I'll try it for a while.





3 comments:

  1. You wouldn't believe how dependent I am on my mom's cooking also. You just have to love the traditional chicken and rice, especially lemon chicken. Just thinking about it right now is actually getting me really hungry. You know what's also good, arroz con frijoles lol. I don't know what my family would do without super stores like Costco. My parents can't afford to take me because I would grab everything I see. Its a good thing you know how to cook though. All I can do is scrambled eggs. -_- i want to learn though

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definetly agree with you, I'm dominican too so it's like part of our culture to eat beef and specially pork, it would be a shock for a dominican to not eat "chicharon" lol.... and also, since our mom's food are delicious we tend to eat whatever they cook... I know how to cook the basic dishes, but I think if I wouldn't know how.... I would be ordering out all the time, as easy as 1 2 3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'm a fast food girl myself. I think I eat more fast food then eating at home. I like to cook but I leave that to my mother. I hardly eat at home so when I do I appreciate it so much. I feel like mother's know how to make your food just the way you like it..yum. My mother and I also shop at a place that is like Costcos, but it's called BJ's. We only go there when we need to do a lot of shopping because they usually sell more items for a cheaper price. I'm a fast food girl myself. I think I eat more fast food then eating at home. I like to cook but I leave that to my mother. I hardly eat at home so when I do I appreciate it so much. I feel like mother's know how to make your food just the way you like it..yum. My mother and I also shop at a place that is like Costcos, but it's called BJ's. We only go there when we need to do a lot of shopping because they usually sell more items for a cheaper price.

    ReplyDelete